Walking upon a Stone

Click image to view larger

I took this photo on a recent trip to San Jose. At sunrise, we decided to stop for gas and breakfast. After breakfast, I wanted take a little walk eastward to watch the sunrise, and to breathe the fresh air of a new day.

I did not realize that I was walking on a cobblestone pavement. This particular one stood up higher above the others, and almost tripped me. As I looked down, seeing the warm light softly touched the stones, I had to run back to the car to get the camera. I took three frames, and this one is my most favorite.

As we got back in the car and drove on, a thought crossed my mind. The whole time, I was looking up at the sky watching the sunrise. I did not even look down. If I did not trip on the stone, or should I says, if the stone did not trip me, I would not have taken this photograph. Was it chance? Was there some kind of intervention at work?

I wonder if a stone have a soul.

-Quan.
February 2011.


“The observer, when he seems to himself to be observing a stone, is really, if physics is to be believed, observing the effects of the stone upon himself.” ~ Bertrand Russell (English Logician and Philosopher 1872-1970)

4 comments :: Walking upon a Stone

  1. I like the quality of light falling on these rocks. Great eye for seeing this!

  2. If the stone doesn't have a soul, and I think they do, then in this case they were a very good communicator and you a good listener/seeker. Excellent seeing and presentation. Proves that we need to look everywhere to truly see.

  3. Dean, thank you. Yeah, the soft quality attracted me.

  4. Ssgmoore1369, thanks for visiting. Being aware of the surrounding helps seeing things in a different light. It works for me once in a while, wish it happens all the time.

Post a Comment