A Butte Without a Name, Monument Valley

Click image to view larger

I took this picture during a recent visit to Monument Valley. In the valley, the famous buttes all have names such as Mitten Buttes, Merrick Butte, Camel Butte, Elephant Butte, The Totem Pole, The Thumb, and Three Sisters, and so on.

Besides those well-known buttes, there are many others, like this one, which has no name. This butte does not have an extraordinary shape or any special attributes. However, when the light shines on it, it stunned me.

I spied this butte while on the tram ride between stops. The ride was bumpy and rocky; it was difficult to hold the camera still. The butte looked thousand times more beautiful in front of my eyes than in the photo above. I wish I could share what I saw there; but I guess I just have to do with my best effort.

-Quan.
April 2011.

“To me, photography is an art of observation. It’s about finding something interesting in an ordinary place... I’ve found it has little to do with the things you see and everything to do with the way you see them.” ~ Elliott Erwitt.

10 comments :: A Butte Without a Name, Monument Valley

  1. Extraordinary...I wonder what it looks like in colour....

  2. Superb image.

  3. rcmckee, thank you very much. -Quan.

  4. Great picture

  5. Hi anh Kim,
    Much appreciated.
    -Quan.

  6. Very nice B&W treatment, great composition. The cloud formations could not have been more perfect for this shot.

  7. Dear Quan; It's 4:30 am now. This is a beautiful black and white photograph. It's reminded me of the great Ansel Adams. It might be a timeless beauty of your work. You wrote...: "The way you see them..." I would like to quote the French writer Antoine de Saint Exupery...:"You can only see with your heart that which is essential is invisible to the eyes.." I like photography so I'm fond of this idea. I still remember: one photographer used to say ..."Forget the camera, forget the len, forget all of that, with any cheap camera, you can capture the best picture....He believe in the passion...other words: see things with your heart..Again thank so much for your beautiful picture. Sincerely

  8. Hi Mark,
    Yes, the clouds are a big help here. I think that I was very lucky. It was overcast the whole day, I only had a small window of opportunity.
    -Quan.

  9. Hi anh Nam,
    What you're saying about seeing with the heart is absolutely spot on. I'm still learning to do that. It happens once in a while, not as often as I would like. However, when that happens my heart skips the beats and I get very excited. You're right, when that happens I forgot about the camera or lens. I just click. That's a wonderful feeling and get me hooked. Thank you.
    Regards,
    -Quan.

  10. Elizabeth,
    It's look very nice in color as well. However, I like the b&w better (maybe, I am bias toward b&w). Thank you very much for viewing.
    -Quan.

Post a Comment